There are billions of employees all over the globe seeking jobs in various departments including Information Technology, Sales, Finance, Marketing, Administration, etc., while the employed ones are working towards achieving their next career goals of getting that increment, promotion or a job in a highly reputed organization. One cannot simply rely on educational qualifications to provide much needed alleviation in the career.
Ever since the introduction of Lean Six Sigma (LSS) professional course, the corporate world has found a way to create employees with better skills which benefit the organization. Lean Six Sigma courses are globally accepted by organizations when they are certified by International Association for Six Sigma Association (IASSC) and the Council for Six Sigma Certification (CSSC). LSS course is divided into three parts; yellow belt, green belt and black belt. Six Sigma Yellow Belt course includes basic understanding of Six Sigma and Lean management concepts. It delivers a broad perspective of what is Lean Six Sigma about and its basic concepts.
Let us understand the benefits of LSS Yellow Belt Training to the organization and the employee.
- Skills implementation on daily tasks: The learnings of Six Sigma Yellow Belt course can be easily implemented on the daily work flow of employees. For example, one can use Pareto analysis of Six Sigma to detect areas of improvement in the task. Another technique learnt from the Yellow Belt course called ‘Poka-Yoke’ is useful in eradicating the errors caused in the completion of the task.
- Perspective towards Company changes: An employee ordinarily has a general idea of his organization where the company has various departments in which different jobs are executed. Such a perception of the company is altered and corrected for employees during Yellow Belt training of LSS as it explains that there is a work flow for which every department is needed to be in sync at all time. Employees understand a company is a system.
- Graphical tools for performance measurement: It is very crucial from the angle of employee and the organization as well to measure the process performances of the organization so that the errors in it can be identified for rectification. Yamazumi is one of the many Lean Six Sigma tools which displays process steps separately using varied colours.
- Simple tools, easy implementation: The advanced levels of Lean Six Sigma courses educate with complex and tough to understand programs which find implementation in very specific and few instances within the organization. However, LSS Yellow Belt Training updates you with tools which are simple and are applicable in the routine tasks of employees.
- Organizational benefits: There are instances where employees come trained with LSS courses into the organization. In this manner, not only do employees come trained but it also means that the organization need not invest time and money into training them.
Considering the abovementioned benefits, it is fair to conclude that despite being the very first of three levels in the Lean Six Sigma certification courses, the Yellow Belt Training is a good enough training for employees who cannot find time for LSS Green or Black Belt.
Lean Six Sigma training has been a revolution of sorts for organisations which were struggling with delays, defects and wastage in various departments. It has brought relief to mainly small and medium-sized enterprises. By absorbing this management methodology, anybody can become potentially capable of negotiating the obstacles faced by the processes in a company.
The knowledge of Six Sigma has implications within the organisation and outside it as well. Its implication and usefulness is not limited to just businesses. People have genuinely reaped benefits by incorporating their Six Sigma knowledge into their normal routine lives beyond corporate world.
There are examples of people from different aspects of life who have benefitted from Six Sigma in multiple ways. Let’s check out what could be the various uses of Six Sigma knowledge.
- Household Management:
One cannot deny the constant need of management which a home demands every single day. It is necessary to establish a specific system or an approach to bring the house in order and uniformity. Six Sigma has proven to be extremely useful in household management. Following are some of the many ways to make your home efficient and systematic.
a) The Kanban System used for timely replenishment of groceries in which a list is maintained on the refrigerator’s door. This list is updated every time the last of any food item from the refrigerator is consumed. Such a list ensures the next grocery shopping involves buying the food items mentioned on it.
b) The 5S (Sort, Set In Order, Shine, Standardize, Sustain) workplace organization technique finds implication in managing the laundry on a weekly basis.
c) A house with many knives can incorporate the Shadow Board approach to compartmentalize the drawer and allocate specific spots for each knife.
d) The winter clothes are not useful during the year for most of the Indian cities. Due to which they are stored in the bags in a certain remote corner of the house. In such a scenario, visual management technique is used to mark the bags with the kind of item stored in them. This helps in easy retrieval of winter clothes as and when required.
e) The technique of Poka Yoke finds its usage in adding a preventive measure to the light switches of the house which needs to remain switched on at the time. For an instance, the switch of the doorbell security camera system must stay on throughout the day.
- Health improvement:
Most of us are leading a hectic lifestyle due to the rising job stress, social pressure, economic inflation, etc., which has contributed towards the health issues like obesity. Six Sigma follows two project methodologies namely DMAIC (Define, Measure, Analyze, Improve, Control) and DMADV (Define, Measure, Analyze, Design, Verify). The DMAIC methodology is interestingly useful in efficiently executing and managing a weight lose plan
- Other implications:
People have utilized the knowledge gained from Six Sigma courses to control blood sugar, saving money by reduction in electricity usage and other aspects of personal life.
The need for Six Sigma certification in India has escalated significantly and the causes for the same are Lean Six Sigma implications outside workplace. The fact that learnings of Six Sigma has found implications in territories beyond corporate world is a proof that Six Sigma certification can be desired by a homemaker, a policeman, a maid and any other individual who intends to manage and modify the various of processes on one’s life to use the resources economically and time efficiently.